Wednesday, February 6, 2013

DUCK AND FRIENDS -- THE DINOSAUR BONES (A Book Review)

In my family, we are not beyond reading children's books.  Even though the "children" in this household are 24, 22, and 20 years old.  I suppose I could use as an excuse the fact that there are small nieces, nephews, and Godchildren in our extended clan.

Recently, we came across a delightful story: DUCK AND FRIENDS -- THE DINOSAUR BONES, by Donna McFarland.

Why is it delightful?  It is like no other children's book I have ever read.  And I have read many, believe me.  Except to my son.  He only allowed me to read COMBAT AIRCRAFT RECOGNITION to him when he was small.  If I tried to read anything else to him, he would cry and smack his head on the floor.  Although, even he might have tolerated this DUCK AND FRIENDS thing.  It is a tale that seems to have come straight out of a child's imagination.

It is a story that is not bound by reality, in any way shape or form.  Just exactly the way small children play.  If you need a blimp, you can get one.  No questions asked.  And you will just automatically know how to fly it, naturally.  If you need $200,000 worth of building materials?  No problem there, either.

And the characters?  Delightful.  They are such good friends to each other -- caring for each other, respecting each other, helping each other, and having fun together!  A good example in this day and age.

This is a wonderful read-aloud for kids who have not yet learned that skill.  It is also a great book for reading instruction, for those in grades K-3, as the words are quite manageable.  I really admire the way Donna weaves together such a fascinating adventure using vocabulary that will not frustrate the young student.  And older brothers and sisters will delight in reading this story to their younger siblings.  A good thing for all those in the family, I believe!

You can get this book from Amazon in both paperback and Kindle editions.  Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-Friends-Dinosaur-Bones-Volume/dp/1481267884/ref=tmm_pap_title_0










No comments:

Post a Comment