Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday Morning Almanac

There is a lovely Catholic mom who is named Elizabeth Foss. She has a blog that I love; and she always does these Monday Morning Almanac things. So, I thought I would try it, too. But, I am a little different than her -- so, my post will be different, too... Hope you enjoy!

I FIND MYSELF:

*Noticing God's Glory:  There is algae growing in my doughboy pool and in my birdbath. There is a gigantic orange spider living in its intricate web on the sliding door which leads from my kitchen to my back yard. And there is a 15-foot ant trail going from the outside of the house, through the garage, under the wall that is between the garage and the inside of the house, and into the downstairs bathroom. Once inside the bathroom, the ants circle around its perimeter and go back out the way they came in.  Now, if you really study these things, instead of just trying to kill them off -- you cannot possibly freaking tell me that their is no God. No offense, or anything...

*Listening To:  Van Halen. There is no better way to keep the passion alive in your marriage than by listening to Van Halen, either by yourself or with your spouse. People could save a lot of money on marriage counseling if they realized this simple fact. Rock on, Eddie...

*Clothing Myself In:  Tennis shoes that have holes in them. Jeans that, though they may not be perfectly sexy, fit. A yellow cotton LL Bean t-shirt. And a pink hoodie with navy blue stripes around the cuffs, waistband, and the inside of the hood. I look like an Easter egg on top. But, after I shower, I will put on one of my Harley shirts...

*Talking With My Daughters About:  How dudes sometimes suck, but that there are also plenty of nice ones. My advice to them is to find one of the nice ones -- one of the nice ones who is also hot. I mean, why sell yourself short?

*Talking With My Son About:  Army ROTC and how cool the whole military thing is. I refuse to be one of those nervous nelly moms, as that attitude would not be in conformity with my Van Halen-listening, Harley-t-shirt wearing persona.

*Thinking And Thinking:  About sex. Yeah. I'm Italian.

*Pondering Prayerfully:  Three of the nicest people I have known in my life have worked for -- or been volunteers for -- Planned Parenthood. Go figure. The Lord loves to challenge us, doesn't he?

*Carefully Cultivating Rhythm:  Zumba. Have you ever heard of it? A mix of aerobics and Latin-type
dance moves. I try to do it at least four times a week.

*Creating By Hand:  Sorry. I just don't do this.

*Learning Lessons In:  How to let my house be a little bit messy. I am kind of a neatnik. Well...I am a total neatnik. But, this makes everyone else in the family sort of frustrated. So, I am learning to happily appreciate messes that are happily made by people who are baking, quilting, scrap-booking, putting together fashion outfits, and working on music.

*Encouraging Learning:  One of the drawbacks of homeschooling and sending my kids to good Catholic Colleges? They have not had a lot of exposure to people of different "stripes." I am trying to rectify this. After all, people of different "stripes" can be a hell of a lot of fun.

*Begging Prayers:  One of my daughters is experiencing significant health challenges. Pretty tough when you're a fun-loving 22-year-old. If you're a praying type of person, please say a little one for her. If you're not a praying type of person, please hold her in your thoughts.

*Keeping House:  Trying to do less of this. See "Learning Lessons In" above.

*Crafting In The Kitchen:  Thank goodness for Trader Joe's.  That's all I can say.  Chopping and measuring and sifting and I just don't see eye-to-eye.

*Loving The Moments:  When my husband gets a little smile and a little twinkle in his eye that make him look just like he did when I met him 27 years ago.  This happens a lot when he listens to Van Halen.  Long live Eddie...

*Giving Thanks:  That I get to be a wife and mother.  Couldn't want anything more.

*Living The Liturgy:  Advent is coming.  I'm not sure exactly when, but I know there will be an announcement in the church bulletin.  If I miss it in the church bulletin, I will know it when I see the purple stuff in the church.  Then I will make sure to go to Confession.  Maybe I will even get an Advent wreath for my house.  I say this every year, but it has not happened yet.  Well -- maybe it happened once or twice.  A domestic decorating goddess, I am not.

*Planning For The Week Ahead:  This is basically pointless, as life has taught me many times.  But, I absolutely have to get the oil changed in the minivan.


No comments:

Post a Comment