Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The War Between Women

There seems to be a lot of hoopla right now concerning Mrs. Romney, wife of the Republican candidate for president.  Apparently, Mrs. Romney has been accused of something along the lines of never working "a day in her life."  And now, the entire Sisterhood of Women in America seems to be engaged in a type of civil war, and I think it's more than a little nauseating.

I am going to speak here in generalities.  I don't mean to offend any specific people here.  And this is only my opinion, for whatever it's worth, if anything at all.

Women need to stop attacking each others' choices.  Women need to stop being offended by other women who make different life decisions. 

I am a housewife and mother.  I am happy I made that choice.  It suits my temperament, my energy level, my interests.  It is what I really wanted to do.  Nobody pressured or forced me into making this decision.  It was mine, and I own it.  This is what makes it work for me when times get tough.

But, other women have different temperaments, energy levels, interests.  I respect that.  And I respect their freedom to be mothers with jobs or careers outside the home.  I have seen women make this choice and raise wonderful children. 

Some people speak of  the War On Women.  I am speaking of the War Between Women.  And I would like to see a truce.  Let's look at it both ways.  The Silicon Valley working woman who supposedly insulted Mrs. Romney did have a point.  Working outside the home is very different from working inside the home.  I have done both, and I know this to be true.  So, if said "feminist" feels that Mrs. Romney can't relate effectively to a great number of today's women, perhaps she has a point.  But, it would also be fair if women who work outside the home can see the value and amount of labor being done by women in the home.  After all, if you have both kids and a job, you are paying someone to do at least some of the work you would be doing if you were at home.  This is not meant to be a judgement or an insult.  It is just a fact.  But, I do admire women who raise families and hold outside jobs.  They work very, very hard.  Probably harder than me.  And some of the best doctors, dentists, teachers, retail workers, insurance agents, bankers, artists, etc. that I have come across are women who are raising kids.  And I value their presence in the workforce.  It has benefited me greatly.

So, here's to the Sisterhood of Women in America.  I hope we can all learn to appreciate each other, draw from each others' strengths, and help each other in our needs.  Let's lift each other up, instead of tearing each other down.

No comments:

Post a Comment