Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Little Obsession

I just have to talk about SouthLAnd. I am pretty obsessed with it. It's a cop show -- my all-time favorite kind of show. I mean, when I was 8, I had this ridiculous crush on Joe Friday. If you don't know who he is, well, look him up. Epic, he was.

Anyway, SouthLAnd is a cop show that just basically trumps all other cop shows. Of course, there are very hot cops. Something for everyone... And there is shooting, fast cop-car driving, and to-die-for foot chases where Officer Ben Sherman (Ben McKenzie) inevitably prevails. This guy needs to give Tom Cruise running lessons, so that old Tom can actually look cool while running. The sound work on the show is also outstanding. And I am not usually someone who would notice that kind of thing-- especially with all the forearm muscles going on.

Seriously, though, what is really best about SouthLAnd is how it draws you in and gives you a little education about what really has to be dealt with up in those streets of LA. Nothing is sugar-coated. There is no attempt at political correctness or nausea-inducing sob stories meant to turn you into a bleeding heart. You may sob and your heart may bleed, but it will be because of stories that hit your gut in a way that is real. (And the stories are based on actual cop experiences. Just like in the days of Joe Friday).

And if none of this convinces you, Ben and Sammy (Shawn Hatosy) should be enough to make you give it a shot. And there is also the stunning Regina King, for all you gentlemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment