I was a homeschool mom for 13 years. It was quite a bit of fun. The only reason I stopped was because my youngest graduated from high school. And no, I don't homeschool college. Don't laugh, y'all. There are some people who do. But, that is not me.
Anyhow, for those of you who are (perhaps blissfully) unaware, there is a homeschool mom "uniform." It's kind of a stereotype. But, it's kind of true.
And it is this:
1. Denim Skirt -- midcalf or longer, non-form-fitting, often with an elastic waist.
2. T-Shirt -- rather loose-fitting, often inscribed with a Catholic or Irish dance logo.
I do not mean to be poking fun at anybody here. This is just the way it is. Yes, it is a broad generalization. A rather fair broad generalization, in my opinion. And now somebody is going to call the ACLU on me. ;-)
To tell you the truth, though, this "uniform" is rather practical. It is well-suited for the, often simultaneous, tasks that homeschool moms must accomplish -- daily Mass, Latin lessons, nursing babies, cleaning up after toddlers, driving all over the county in a 12-seater van in order to properly socialize and enrich the kids, and cooking large vats of homegrown foods. It can easily be worn both with or without a bra. It is good for early pregnancy, post-partum, and menopause. It doesn't matter what type of panties you put on under it. You can even put shorts on under it, for those pick-up games of soccer your kids might talk you into. It is also not very sexy, which can be a boon when you have seven children under the age of 10. And it is complimented by all types of hairstyles -- long, short, and braids.
Anyway, upon looking at myself in the mirror today, I realized that I am wearing the homeschool mom "uniform," albeit with a little bit of a twist. Perhaps it can be looked upon as the "uniform" for us retired homeschool moms. Familiar enough to be comfortable, but also a bit edgy. And non-comformist. ALL homeschool moms are non-conformist. That should be pretty clear when you read the paragraph above. (And when you read the paragraph above, it should also be pretty clear that homeschool moms are NOT women to be messed with. They are basically the same as femi-nazis, but with a slightly different worldview.)
So, I present to you -- the retired homeschool mom "uniform":
1. Jersey Maxi Skirt -- from The Gap, rather form-fitting, navy blue and white striped, with a waistline that sits slightly below the navel.
2. Harley Davidson t-shirt -- black, hip-length, a bit figure-hugging (but, not tight), emblazoned in gold lettering with the Harley-Davidson logo and various decorative designs.
3. Nike flip-flops -- black, with gel soles. So comfy!
4. A few (subtle) purple highlights in my brown hair.
A rather smooth fashion transition, don't you think, for us non-conformist, menopausal, retired, homeschool mom broads? I think so.